Sweet and Sour Rib is a very tasty and popular Chinese dish, served in many different types of restaurants. The interesting thing about this simple dish is that if you try it in 10 different restaurants, you likely taste 10 different flavors 😅, although hopefully each one is still great.
With that said, this recipe is my style of Sweet and Sour Rib.Continue reading Sweet and Sour Rib – 糖醋排骨
I love 水煮牛肉. However, the authentic version we eat at restaurants is too spicy for me, even after I asked for little spicy or mild 😅. So here is the recipe I adapted to make tasty 水煮牛肉 at home that is really little spicy or no spicy at all.
Continue reading Sichuan Boiled Beef (水煮牛肉）
Egg tart and Pies
Freshly baked egg tart, smells so good and tastes so good 😘
Bonus, the same dough can be used to make many other cookies, such as Apple Pie, Banana Pie, Sweetheart cake （I like this translation. In Chinese this is called 老婆饼），etc.
🍪Making the dough:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3tbsp butter, softed
- 100ml water + 1tsp sugar + 1/3 tsp salt
Mix and knead well.
With a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle shape, spread ~1.5tbsb softed butter evenly on top. Fold vertically for 3 layers, then fold horizontally for 3 layers (see pictures). Wrap in food wrapper, let it chill in the fridge for half an hour.
🏃♀️During this time, you can get some exercise and then come back 😉
🍪Take the dough out, gently press it to make it 2x of the size, then roll to a rectangle shape again. This time the shape is more narrow. spread ~1.5tbsb softed butter evenly on top. Fold horizontally for 3 layers (see pictures). Wrap in food wrapper, let it chill in the fridge for half an hour.
💃Go and relax for half an hour 🙂
🍪Take the dough out again. Similar as last step, gently roll it to a rectangle shape. This time wider and thiner.
Now you have two choices: use the dough all for egg tart (making ~18 tarts) or half egg tart half cookies. I chose the later. Cut the dough vertically to 2 piece. Half of it spread butter, and then roll it to a cylinder; the other half also spread with butter, and then fold horizontally for 4 layers. Wrap in food wrapper, let it chill in the fridge for an hour.
🧑🍳During this time, don’t go and relax, we need to prepare the filling:
🍥For the Sweetheart cake:
- ~half cup well cooked red beans, slightly pressed.
- 2tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp butter
- 2tbsp flour
Mix well and let it chill in the fridge.
🥚For the egg tart:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar (this amount makes a not very sweet taste, you can add more or less based on your preference)
- 3tbsp startch
In a sauce pot, boil 1cup heavy cream, 2/3 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Watch the side of the pot, when you see bubbles starting to come out, turn off the heat. Don’t let it boil!
Pour the hot cream into the egg mix, mix well. Transfer the egg mix to a larger measure cup or some other container that is easy to pour the mix to egg tart mold later, using a sieve to remove the lumbs. Let it chill in the fridge.
🍌Prepare the banana filling at the last because of color change:
- simply cup a banana to small pieces, and 1tsp sugar.
Preheat oven to 375f, roast setting (both up and bottom heat).
🥚For the egg tart:
- Cut the dough to 9 pieces (for 2.6 inch egg tart molds, adapt according based on your mold size)
- Put each piece in a mold. Use your fingers to gentally press and shape it to fit in the mold.
- Pour the egg mix to each egg tart mold, fill about 85%
- Bake for 25 minutes (may need to adjust based on your oven)
🍥🍌For the pies:
- Roll the dough to rectangle shape again.
- Cut out ~12 circle shapes
- Make 6 sweetheart pie and 6 banana pie.
- Brush with egg yolk, spread some sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes (may need to adjust based on your oven)
😍 Time to enjoy!
If you can’t finish, the next day you can simply heat oven to 350f, and back for ~4 minutes.
Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.